Wednesday 18 July 2012

Co sleeping (and other things that don't hurt your baby)


I’ve seen a lot of this lately, the parenting camps coming out in force; Someone posts a blog about how great baby training is. 3 people whole heartedly agree. 4 passive aggressive people comment “in the nicest way possible”. 3 people secretly cry into their pillow because they think they’re doing a bad job. Everyone feels awkward.
So, here’s my two pence!! The “Attachment Parent” camp seems to be getting the raw end of the deal. We’re the hippies, behind the times etc etc. So this blog is my educated (ish) input. Why AP parents choose this technique, and why these choices do not hurt their children. I’ll partake in a small amount of myth busting too, but I can’t include everything because it would take me all day and well, I have a kid to parent, yeah?!

 Co- sleeping. “You shouldn’t co sleep because you’ll roll over and smother your baby”. Wrong. Co sleeping the right way (E.G using the WHO guidelines), means that the baby is significantly safer. There is a much lower risk of SIDs for a child that is sleeping with a parent. This means; in a bed with a firm mattress, using different covers than the parent (like a baby sleeping bag), with a parent who is not under the influence of alcohol, medication, recreational drugs and a parent who does not smoke.
Co sleepers don’t just do it for this magical “bond” everyone talks about. Nor do they do it just because they’re lazy and it’s easier than having to get up to a baby in a different bed/room (which it is, I must admit). They do it because there is research that says it’s the best thing to do. You might not agree. And it’s OK not to agree. But it’s not OK to accuse someone of endangering their child when they aren’t.

Gina Ford and other “sleep trainers” are helping babies to learn how to sleep. Wrong. Some parents are of the belief that babies learn from experience. So, if you’re leaving a baby to cry until they fall asleep all you’re doing is teaching them that you will not meet their needs. Eventually the baby gives up communicating (aka crying) because it knows it will not be tended to. This is not a “contented little baby”. A recent study (spoken about here) has shown that the cortisol (stress hormone) in a baby that has been “sleep trained” was still dangerously high even when they were not crying. So while the mother was relaxed, the baby was still distressed. It’s written right there, which is why people opt not to do it. I’m not telling anyone what to do. But this is why I opt not to do it. Have I upset anyone yet? Because there is another “radical” form of parenting where people go to a crying child and still get a good night’s sleep. Hannah is a mum of twins, and she says “My 6 month old twin boys go into bed sleep between 7.30 and 8pm every night, and do not wake until 6-8am every morning. On the rare occasion that they wake and cry they are lifted, cuddled back to sleep and offered food. The whole process takes 15 minutes”. This mum never sleep trained her twins. There are options, it’s not black and white “you either teach your children to sleep or you’ll be tired forever”. And picking up a child at night DOES NOT HURT THEM OR HINDER THEIR LEARNING/GROWTH (shouty caps, because that’s the most ridiculous myth)

Breast Is Best. Yep. 
Aren’t you just sick of people ramming this saying down your throat? Everywhere you go they’re telling you that breast is best. Like they tell you to eat fruit and veg, stay hydrated and keep active. Though the latter 3 points don’t cause as much offence do they? Because people are weird and touchy about breastfeeding. It should be Breast is NORMAL. I’m a breast feeding peer supporter. I’m not the breast feeding police. Or the BF Mafia. I just believe that breast milk is the most normal way of providing nutrition to your child from the first hour of their life. Did you know that:
·         Less than 2% of women worldwide cannot physically breast feed. So when you’re told that your milk hasn’t come in or you’re not satisfying your newborn THINK AGAIN.
·         Formula is the fourth preferred option of feeding a newborn. Not the second to breast feeding. The fourth.
·         It’s free (“amazeballs!!” I hear you all cry)
·         It burns calories. Loads of them.
·         Breast feeding mothers actually get a better quality sleep. And it reduces your risks for PND.
·         Breast milk is considered effective treatment/help for patients going through chemotherapy. (They don’t call it Liquid Gold for nothing)
This is all fact. It’s not here to make you feel bad for using a bottle. Like the grass is green and the sky is blue (well, grey today), it’s just actual scientific fact.
And I only breastfed for 5 months.
And about the myths....
·         Breast feeding does not stop dads from bonding
·         Does not create needy babies
·         Does not make you a pervert
·         Does not mean that you have a baby on your boob 20 hours a day for the next 3 years.

Sleeping through the night.

This is an absolute pet peeve. I’m going to say this now- having a baby that sleeps through the night does not make you a better parent than someone who is up 3 times with their baby. You should not feel smug that you aren’t tired and you do not have the right to make other parents feel bad for having a child that doesn’t sleep. You shouldn’t use it as the basis of an argument “Well my child slept through from *** age so I must be right”. Pfft. Guess what... babies are programmed to wake up. They have stomachs the size of a ping pong ball, so they wake if they are hungry. They have been in the womb for 9 months, so they wake up if they feel lonely. There are different stages of sleep and their sleep is different to adults- they don’t sleep as deeply for as long because it is the body’s natural mechanism to reduce the risk of SIDs. My child sleeps through on average 10 nights out of 14. 2 nights ago he slept 8pm-8am. Last night he slept 7.30pm-6am. So sometimes I’m tired, other times I’m not. And it’s not the end of the world. He’ll sleep all night every night at some point. Do you ever hear of a healthy 16 year old that wakes their mum every night for a feed at 3am? No. Didn’t think so.

  Routine is important. YES! Is this something we all agree on? I think so...
Children need routine for security. It’s nice to know what to expect. It’s healthy and helps new mums stay sane.
We are a family from the Attachment Parent Camp. We have a routine. Just like the baby training camp. And the Each-To-Their-Own Camp. And the Passive Aggressive Camp. We all have some form of a routine.
Ours is a basic (skeleton) routine. We have an idea of the times we eat and sleep. We have a bath/story/song/bed routine (be it at 7pm or 8pm). It’s a flexible routine that means I’m free to do what the hell I want with my day. I don’t have to stress that my child has missed his 10am nap. I don’t stop shopping at 12pm for lunch. I just carry on until we’re ready for lunch. Maybe we’ll eat at 12.30pm. Or 1pm. But we do always have lunch around this time. Just because a routine doesn’t have strict timings does not mean that it isn’t effective.
Michele, a mum of 1, says “My 21 month old asks to go to bed when she is tired, whether that’s for day time naps or bed. Other friends seem to be battling their toddlers at night time. Our most important routine is at bedtime. It varies from 6.30-8.30pm but it is always bath, book and milk, same song etc”.


There is a RIGHT and a WRONG type of parenting.

Right is;
  • ·         Showing solidarity with other parents in the fact that we ALL love our kids.
  • ·         Respecting that people genuinely believe that they are doing the best they can for their children.
  • ·         Listening to advice. Maybe someone has a read a study you haven’t. It doesn’t hurt to listen.

Wrong is;
  • ·         Feeling smug when your kids sleep through
  • ·         Lying. Exaggerating your child’s achievements to make other parents feel bad. Let’s be HONEST. Our children are all miracles, whether they potty train at 2 years or 4 years, recite the alphabet backwards from birth or don’t ever walk.
  • ·         Unfollowing me because I wrote this blog. (that’s the worst one IMO)


So, carry on camping! Whichever camp you may be part of. But just remember that there is always a reason behind the choices that every parent makes. And please don't secretly hate me, if you disagree then comment and let me know. There's no harm in an open debate. 



Useful Links/Links I've used

There are loads more if you want them. x x x

14 comments:

  1. Well said honey- I co slept with Isaac, much to many people's horror, until he was 4 months old. I've been lucky that he's slept through the night since 7 weeks, and honestly, if he hadn't I don't know how I would have coped as it's been so hard.
    As awful as it sounds I've found myself not talking to many women with babies the same age as mine purely because there is a lot of 'mine does this, what does yours do?' and I absolutely hate it. I've come across women who have actually told me to discourage Isaac from doing something 'early' (it was sitting up solo at 3 1/2 months) so their children could catch up. Their words not mine. Similarly, these same ladies turn to me and scoff that Isaac doesn't like crawling. He can, he just doesn't, but apparently it means he isn't normal.
    Finally (she says, stepping off her soap box) I'm one of those people who couldn't breast feed. I got colostrum and after 36 hours I couldn't get a drop of anything. My peer supporter gave up on me, as did my midwife so I genuinely think lack of support had more to do with it than anything. Interestingly I sometimes leak milk in the night 8 months post partum. Strange.
    Apologies for the long comment- you've just touched on a lot of things that mean a lot to me- and I didn't even get a chance to start on Gina Ford and her stupidity.
    Mwah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah be proud of your baby whatever he does!!
      And there is no reason you should not have been able to breastfeed if you're leaking now. You needed better support and that's where our system fails new mamas! I'll totes be your BFPS if you have another xx

      Delete
  2. Amy Mummy of 6 and 1 angel18 July 2012 at 12:02

    This is my parenting style and wouldn't change it for the world. ;) very well written. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The right type of parenting is exactly the three points you have written. It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which some individuals consider it their right to belittle and criticise the choices that other parents make.

    I admit myself that the ideals I held before the little man was born have changed not at all. The things we have done to achieve them have continually evolved and changed; through our own experience and the sharing of information etc from others. We are lucky to have found support and advice amongst the criticism.

    We are all doing our best to bring up happy, healthy children - we really should support one another as it is a hard enough job to do as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad you like it.xxx

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this post!!!! So true with every single point!! I co-sleep with my 2 year old and 5.5 months old and i love it!! Nothing wrong with it,its natural. As my midwife said to me in the post labour ward after my second,it where they are meant to be..with their mothers :D its so funny after i read this post a mum group i am on posted about sleep training and many admitted to CC and it took all my strength not to repost what i have just read on this post...purely for the fact it would have caused an argument because your not really allowed your own opinion lol!! Well done for a down to earth-honest and factitious blog :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great blog! Well said and well educated points made along the way x it's always good to know you are not the only one who feels this way! I question my parenting daily as i'm made to feel like I'm 'doing it wrong' so reading this really helps me get perspective and know that following my instincts are whats best for my son. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course!! The fact that you're concerned about how you parent shows that you CARE and that's the most important thing. It's not an easy job xxx

      Delete
  6. OK. This is my 3rd attempt to bypass your criticism filter ;-)

    I do agree with pretty much all you've written with ONE exception, which I shall come to in a min. I don't like shouty nastiness so am just voicing a difference of opinion, nowt else. S'all fine & dandy innit?

    I breast-fed for as long as I felt able but both my babies were bottle-fed from fairly early on. I own a pram & a sling. My babies sleep in their own beds but occasionally if they are ill they sleep in our bed. I am not an AP parent. But I wouldn't say I was a sleep trainer either. Or any other label really.

    However (here comes the mild criticism), you say you want to bust some AP myths whilst simultaneously propagating myths about Gina Ford & sleep training. Gina Ford explicitly says a baby should never be left to cry for more than a few minutes. A FEW MINUTES!

    If my baby happens to wake in the night here's what I do. I listen. Is she babbling away to herself? Good. She's fine. I leave her to settle herself back to sleep. She does. Is she having a bit of a grumble coz she's tired & annoyed at being woken? Ok. I would be too. So I leave her to settled herself back to sleep. She does. Is she properly crying? Not good. I wait A FEW MINUTES to see if she'll settle herself. Sometimes she does. If she doesn't I go & soothe her until she is calm, quiet & read for sleep.

    I do not neglect her, ignore her or leave her to cry. Her needs are always met - sometimes by me, sometimes by her. There is nothing distressing or unkind in this method.

    That's it. But a good, thought-provoking blog. Look forward to the next one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I really hope this comment gets through this morning after last nights hiccups!
    Firstly - I really like you and your blog. So, big cuddle.
    Ok, your 'right and wrong' summary is bang on. Totally agree with that. Awesome.
    But now for my views on the rest (this isn't a personal critism, it is more of a general view on the issues raised).
    I don't understand why there has to be "labels" for "types" of parenting. Ap vs Gina Ford? Why does there need to be a label attatched to how people choose to parent their child? We are not Ap-ers, we are not Gina Ford lovers. We do what works for us and ours. We do a mix of the two but never would I ever say I did a "type" of parenting. And why should you care what anyone else thinks about how you bring up your children? It is almost like school in this sense. B says she doesn't think I should co-sleep with H. Who gives a damn? Just don't listen to those people. They have no bearing on your life whatsoever.
    I think often when people do attach themselves to a method they can become defensive and therefore ultimately aggressive about how they parent. They are though, in effect, by joining a 'group' of people who attach themselves to a parenting method inviting this critism from other camps though. As long as your baby is happy and healthy who CARES what other people think about how you parent.
    I do agree that people should not link co-sleeping to SIDS and cot death. That must be very hurtful to hear. I am always sorry for people when this is shoved in their face.
    Finally, the breast feeding. Breast feeding is not always best. It does not always happen, for a lot of reasons. You said in your blog you dont want to upset people. Hand on heart if I had read this a year ago it would have affected me badly (and I know you dont want to make people feel bad - you seem lovely). I was crippled with PND (could not get out of bed some days. True story) and my MH (healed by medication and sleep and support) had to come before giving my babies breast milk. Breast feeding whilst verging on a break down (I am not over exaggerating) would have ruined us all. Breast milk is therefore, NOT always best, and when people say it IS best, it riles me. I am not trying to sound "ME ME ME! It is all about ME!" because I know this point is applicable to millions of other women. . Now I am better, I couldn't give two hoots what anyone elses says about me bottle feeding my babies, but my point is, saying "breast is best" is not really a very kind thing to say nowadays, and you don't know what is going on in someone elses life that can be affected by what you say.
    Anyway, I hope that comes across as I meant it. Not cross or angry or anything like that, just my views on your post.
    Big hugs,
    Han
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. really enjoyed reading your post as its very thought provoking.
    I co-sleep with my toddler still and have basically let her lead me as a parent.
    the only thing I don't agree with is the breast feeding but this is because I was unable to for more than about 12 days. This was hugely upsetting for me as it was for her. I had midwives who were just so awful at pushing the breastfeeding onto me to the point of putting me on the bed naked to my waist, my newborn on my tummy so she could CRAWL up to the breast??! Needless to say that was the final straw. I do think everyone is different and if there is a next one I would LOVE to be able to breast feed for longer than a few weeks. but if i can't it doesn't mean it will be detrimental to my child. My DD is a very healthy 3.5yr old now and I don't think the formula has harmed her.
    I look forward to your next post.
    love @manaiasmama xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tried though. That's the important thing. The fact you had bad support isn't your fault.
      The point im making is that people are weird about breast feeding. It should just be seen as the normal thing rather than all this crazy breast is best propaganda. It turns people off.
      I don't believe formula does harm, as I said my little boy was on formula from 5 months. But it's seen as more normal than breast feeding when it shouldn't. Do you get me? Xxx

      Delete
  9. I've never subscribed to a form/method of parenting - I just do what feels right. I have probably tried bits from most camps at some point. I haven't really been worried about developmental rates but most my social group had children later than me so I have the privilidge of being considered the 'experienced Mum'? It's only strangers that comment mostly and I'm great at the smile, nod, ignore manoeuvre - oh and health visitors (don't get me started)!!

    I wholeheartedly agree with all your points!

    After my youngest's birth I was stuck in hospital for a few days with a baby in NICU so got to experience first hand several cases of breastfeeding 'mentoring'.
    It was tragic - I'm not surprised the numbers that persevere are so low - it can be difficult to establish. I have breastfed, expressed and formula fed. I felt 10times more knowledgable than the midwifes speaking to the new mums. It brought back horrible flashbacks to after my first born when they adopted the grab breast, insert in babies mouth technique (yes, yes if I say that's taught me how to latch baby on so you promise never to do it again, please)!
    Apart from one Mum that was pretty experienced about 3 of 5 mums were panicked by the midwives because the baby hadn't taken a proper feed yet; about 4hrs after birth when they hardly know they're born!
    I felt compelled to take one poor Lithuanian (where it is frowned upon not to bf) lady under my wing, she got different advice from every professional who walked in the door and nothing much was wrong she and her baby just needed some peace to bond and learn together. She was so grateful yet clueless to the support she was giving me as I got to handle her baby and teach her simple things whilst my baby was in a separate ward.

    I could write so much more but really that's my main tuppence.
    Love your blog - will be subscribing! xx

    ReplyDelete